Monday 24 April 2017

Well connected

I've made a start on the wiring for Smestow.  I know it might sound a bit backwards to some that I have started the wiring before laying any track on the scenic sections of the layout but, the idea is to do as much of the basic wiring as possible so as each section of track is laid it can be tested and checked as work progresses.

I'm still sticking with conventional DC control for locomotives and other traction but I'm also developing my own local bus system for control of servo point and signal motors. This should reduce the number of wires going back and forwards to the control panel.

MERG have a range of similar modules in the members kit locker but I enjoy experimenting with electronics and I'm in the process of designing and building my own local bus system using cheap and easy to obtain parts from several sellers on Ebay.

 This was the state of play with some of the wiring this morning.

Note that I use good old fashioned solder tag strips rather than the screw connector blocks.
Just my personal preference as I always think that a good solid soldered joint is far more reliable than screw terminals.

I find that screw terminals have a tendency to shake loose over a period of time and throw up all sorts of faults.

Having said that, some of my modules will have screw terminals just to make a quick disconnect and removal of modules for any modifications and alterations that I might want to make.

The picture shows the underside of the end base board and the solder tag strips can be seen, the tags are wired to a 25way D connector that will connect the control panel to the layout.

The circuit board in the centre is just a 15V DC distribution board and feeds power to other modules individually.
Below that is the 5 V DC power supply to provide power to the servo motors.
I'm using a bit of a mixture of servo drivers for the points and signals. I have some Heathcote electronics modules salvaged from one of my old layouts and some MERG servo drivers that I haven't used before but at the price for the kits are as cheap as chips.
The only drawback with the Heathcote modules and cheap Ebay servo motors is that the servos tend to kick quite violently on power up. To overcome this I have incorporated a timer circuit in the motor supply line.

On start up power is applied to the control modules immediately, but there is a two second delay before the motor power is applied. this gives the control modules time to settle down and stops the servos from jittering on power up. .
As I said earlier some of the control modules are still in the development stage but I will update this page as and when things develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment