Wednesday 21 November 2012

Is it a bird? is it a plane? NO It's TABARD MAN!

It's slowly getting to the point where my railway modelling hobby is starting to get expensive!

No, not for the cost of the materials and tools but my clothing is wearing out fast, not a week goes by without some sort of clothing damage.
Solder, Paint, Thinners, MEK, Fluxes and  glues of one sort or another have all left their mark in one way or another over the years.
It was getting to the point where I was struggling to get shirts laundered and ready to wear again before the next one got gummed up with one of the above materials or fluids!

What I needed was some sort of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) to try and avoid the major splashes and accidents taking their toll on my shirts, trousers and the wife's comments!

Enter TABARD MAN!

I had looked at white lab coats, warehouse coats and a few other items of apparel before choosing the Tabard. Although designed with women in mind, this garment is just ideal for us modellers.
It offers protection while at the same time leaving the arms free, that was the drawback with the conventional Lab coat overall. Not only that, the front pocket is a great place to put odds and ends when working on the layout, Screws, wire, small tools and your ciggies and lighter too!
Once my new layout "Steam on the Cambrian" is finished and on the exhibition circuit I shall probably wear it   whilst operating! The front pocket being the ideal place for holding shunting poles, and somewhere to drop the hand held controller in to when both hands are needed to couple up or similar tasks.

I wonder if this idea will catch on?

Cheers
Frank





1 comment:

  1. It's not a bad idea. Perhaps there is a market for a more macho version?

    ReplyDelete